6/6/08 - Makenna is awesome

So the other night, it was my turn to feed at 2 in the morning, so I got up and headed into her bedroom to feed her the 2 ounces from a Dr. Brown bottle. These bottles are made to mimic the flow of milk from the mother, which means that it is incredibly slow in comparison to most other bottles.

On average, it takes about 20 minutes from the time I get out of bed, feed her, swaddler her, get her back to sleep and get back into bed.

This night was slightly different. After about 10 minutes, I noticed that the milk didn't seem to be getting lower. I pulled it away and checked and sure enough, there were still 2 ounces in the bottle. I checked the nipple and it had gotten jammed or clogged or something. I had to go get a new nipple and start over. I should also mention that this particular night, I had not gotten to bed until a little after midnight...I was tired.

Once we got the bottle figured out, we sat back down and she got about halfway through when she decided she wanted to go back to sleep. There are nights when she is just so tired, she doesn't want to eat at all. Usually, if you sit her up, play with her ear, move the bottle around, you can get her to start eating again. No more than 2 or 3 of these moves is required to get her to finish the bottle.

This night was slightly different. It took close to 15 minutes of constant stimulation to get her to finish the last half of her bottle. This puts the entire feeding time to right around 35 minutes or so. I should also mention that I new that I had to get up again at 5:00 to go to work...I wanted sleep.

I should also mention that prior to completing the bottle, she decided that then and there was the best time and place to complete load her diaper. How anyone can sleep through an explosive pants filling like she did is beyond me. Normally, Cristi has changed her diaper and all I need to do is swaddler her and put her down.

This night was slightly different. Of course, I had to change her diaper (which is not at the top of my list of favorite things to do) because Cristi would have been pretty upset if she checked her diaper before the 5:00 and saw that I had left a big o' pile of poopy in her diaper. So...by this point, I'm pretty upset because all I want to do is get some sleep. I had zero patience and was tempted multiple times to just give up the whole process, wrap her up and put her in her swing for the rest of the night.

Well...that was until I laid her down to change her diaper. She looked up at me with those big eyes of her...tilted her head to the side a little...and laughed. For some reason, she thought it was the funniest thing to her. Well, if you've ever seen a baby smile/laugh...you can't do ANYTHING but look back and smile and laugh with them. At that point, I didn't care if I had to stay up the rest of the night, that little smile was the most incredible thing I had seen. She's been smiling for a while now, but the whole situation leading up to that smile made that one just so much more special.

So before I finished changing the diaper, I just leaned over and played with her for a bit. She just kept smiling and what I believe were laughs. When all was said and done, I got her wrapped up and sat in the chair for probably a good 5 or 10 minutes just looking at her...all the while she was asleep.

It doesn't change the fact that I was a zombie the next day at work, but I'm in so much trouble when she gets older if she figures out that her smile makes melt in a split second.


1 Comments - Leave one yourself

That is the cutest story. It made me 'awww' =)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 8, 2008 at 7:48 PM  

center image