2/28/07 - The wedding and the trip home

We are back from Florida...finally. Although we both had a great time and got to spend all sorts of time together (something that our current schedules don't allow) we were both ready to be home. We stayed at some condos on the beach called North Beach condos I believe. We knew the owners, and Cristi's mom picked it out (we shared a room with them). The rates are very reasonable and only a stone's throw from the beach (which was incredible). I was going to put a link up to their site, but can't find the web site. If I find it later, I'll update this.

We got to Florida around midnight on Thursday and made our way quickly to the condo and into bed. We knew we would be busy all weekend, but it was crazier than I had imagined. Friday morning was the rehearsal at Kapok Gardens where the wedding, reception, and cocktail hour was going to be and since I didn't have a ride, I got to go too. After that was over, Cristi has some errands to run so we started running those along with some that her mom needed to run. I think I saw pretty much all of Tampa as much running around as we did. We made it to Target, Payless, Publix, Loius Pappas' for lunch, and several other places. We got all of our errands run and headed back to the condo. We were there just long enough to get changed and lay around for a few minutes before we headed back where we had come from (a little over 30 minutes away) to go to the rehearsal dinner that night. We had barbecue sandwiches which is always a good selection as far as I'm concerned. For most of the night, we stood around the kitchen area and everyone shared stories about the bride and groom. Although I had not met Josh until that evening and had really only been around Kassie in person 5 times in my life, it was interesting to hear some of the stories about the two of them.

After the dinner, we made our way back to the condo and wasted no time getting to sleep. Cristi had to be back at the wedding site early saturday morning for the luncheon, hair and all that jazz. I, on the other hand, got to lay around most of the morning. A little after lunch, I went out for a run with Cristi's mom's boyfriend out on the beach. Although I didn't run for a long time, it felt really nice to be outside in shorts in excellent weather, running on a beach. After my run, I sat in the pool for a while and got ready for the wedding. As for the wedding, it was very pretty. Cristi looked incredible (as usual), but of course for the wedding she had her hair all done up and the fancy gown and so on and so forth. The worst part about the whole night though was that I had not worn my suit since our honeymoon over 3 years ago. I've gained many pounds since then and it was not very comfortable.

The reception after the wedding was crazy. I've never been to a wedding where the entire wedding party was announched as they came down a large staircase. They served a full meal as opposed to the more common finger foods. We had prime rib, chicken, green beand and carrots, potatoes and several other items. Of course, this didn't help my pants fit any better. For most of the reception, the dance floor was open and the deejay was playing dance songs with an occassional slow song. Overall, it was a great night.

The real excitement didn't happen until we got to the airport Sunday morning for our flight home. The plane was scheduled for takeoff at 6:00 am which means we were at the airport at 5:00am. It takes 30 minutes to get there and we had to pack some things that morning which means we were awake at roughly 4:00 that morning. When we walked in the door of the airport, we found out that our flight had been cancelled, along with MANy flights the day before. All we could do was stand in line to find out when we were going to get to leave. After two and a half hours of standing in line, we found out that if we were flying out of Tampa airport, we would be in Florida until Tuesday. Luckily, Cristi's mom lives in Ocala which is closer to Orlando and they had a direct flight to Little Rock Monday afternoon. After all that, we went back to the condo and slept for a few hours, met Josh and Kassie for lunch at the Rockaway Grill before they headed off to Orlando for their honeymoon and then we started the trip back to Ocala from Clearwater. What should normally take us about 2 hours, took nearly four. Add on the hour we waited for a table at lunch, and nearly half our day was spent waiting in line somewhere for some reason. After we made it to Ocala, nothing exciting happened. Our flight Monday went over with no problems and we are now safely back home back in our routine. For the record, if I ever have the option to fly Delta over American Airlines for a small extra fee, I'll probably take it.


0 Comments - Leave one yourself
center image